Re: Starting Career as an Oracle DBA

From: Burt Peltier <burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 23:44:16 -0500

> > Hello Everyone
> >
> > I am planning to pursue a career as an oracle dba, can someone guide
> > me on the following.
> >
> > 1.What courses should I take, how long are the courses and where do I
> > begin?
> > 2.For certification, how many tests do I write and is this difficult?
> > 3.Is there a major demand for Oracle DBA's?
> > 4.How much is it for the whole package, including certification?
> >
> > If anyone can guide me on the right direction I would deeply
> > appreciate it.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Jack
>
> Listen to what these guys are saying. I am an Oracle DBA with 2 years
> exp. I moved into the position at my company. I was a Progress DBA,
> and we started using Oracle. I started out learning DBA tasks from
> another Oracle DBA, and taking Oracle DBA courses. If you take courses
> through anyone that is affiliated with Oracle University, you'll find
> out that the first course you will have to take is "Intro to SQL &
> PL/SQL".
>
> I've recently started exploring other Oracel DBA job opps., only to
> find out I don't know jack about PL/SQL, and it's hurting me. Learn to
> program in PL/SQL first.
>
> As for the OCP stuff, it can't hurt. At a minimum, it does demonstrate
> your ability to understand Oracle. But, it is no small task to
> undertake either. If you already hold a job, and are pursuing this new
> venture with limited time resources, you might be better off spending
> the time learning PL/SQL.

Seems to me a DBA who knows how to code (in any language) is better off than a DBA who doesn't know programming. How do you support/help programmers (which is a big part of the DBA job, IMHO) when you haven't been in their shoes?

I was fortunate to have learned Plsql (and several other languages) way before being an Oracle DBA . It does help knowing Plsql. But, seems these days, knowing Java may be just as beneficial. Java is one thing I would like to learn one day .. when the day goes from 24 hours to 26 hours. :) Received on Tue May 28 2002 - 06:44:16 CEST

Original text of this message