Re: Starting Career as an Oracle DBA

From: Stanley <staff_at_800hairnow.com>
Date: 27 May 2002 16:27:02 -0700

dumisani_at_yahoo.com (ViRusAttack) wrote in message news:<874d9b09.0205270705.76abc5c7_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello Everyone
>
> I am planning to pursue a career as an oracle dba, can someone guide
> me on the following.
>
> 1.What courses should I take, how long are the courses and where do I
> begin?
> 2.For certification, how many tests do I write and is this difficult?
> 3.Is there a major demand for Oracle DBA's?
> 4.How much is it for the whole package, including certification?
>
> If anyone can guide me on the right direction I would deeply
> appreciate it.
>
> Regards
>
> Jack

Listen to what these guys are saying. I am an Oracle DBA with 2 years exp. I moved into the position at my company. I was a Progress DBA, and we started using Oracle. I started out learning DBA tasks from another Oracle DBA, and taking Oracle DBA courses. If you take courses through anyone that is affiliated with Oracle University, you'll find out that the first course you will have to take is "Intro to SQL & PL/SQL". I've recently started exploring other Oracel DBA job opps., only to find out I don't know jack about PL/SQL, and it's hurting me. Learn to program in PL/SQL first.

As for the OCP stuff, it can't hurt. At a minimum, it does demonstrate your ability to understand Oracle. But, it is no small task to undertake either. If you already hold a job, and are pursuing this new venture with limited time resources, you might be better off spending the time learning PL/SQL. Received on Tue May 28 2002 - 01:27:02 CEST

Original text of this message