Re: How to import .dmp file to MS SQL Server 2000?

From: Burt Peltier <burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:12:52 -0500

As others have said, the easiest way to get this is to download the free Oracle software and create a temp database that you can import the dmp file into. Then, extract from the temp database what you need using whatever tool you like.

There is also an easy way to get the data model from a dmp file without Oracle software. I am not sure it is possible on Windows, but in Unix, you could do a strings command on the dmp and pipe the output to a file that you could then edit out the create table statements , create index statements, etc .

In Unix, the command is:

strings your-name.dmp > your-name.txt

... just 1 example of the many reasons Unix is a much more productive environment than Windows ... :)