Re: 9iAS vs PHP

From: nicolas stern <nstern_at_datacomm.ch>
Date: 15 May 2002 02:05:09 -0700

Hi Charlie

We use 9iAS onn NT mainly with mod_plsql. We found it works *much* better than 4.0.8.2. Apache Listener is a real improvement.

My input to your points:

  1. Oracle Application Server is expensive with no apparent advantages for us.
    - True: License is expensive in comparison to OpenSource products, but
    not so expensive when you compare it to license costs on the db server
    - Developement comes cheap if you have PL/SQL - developer around
    • True: SSO is neat
  2. PL/SQL was not designed for web development
    - True, but data-intensive stuff is simpler to implement as pl/sql
    stored procedures.
    - Deployement is simple: we develop on a DB Server running NT and
    deploy on a variety of Unix platforms. To deploy an application, we just export/import.
  3. No separation of business logic and presentation
    - Wrong: you can group business logic as pl/sql stored procedures, and
    separate these from the procs that contains the presentation.
  4. Each web request requires a call to the Oracle RDBMS
    - Wrong: you can store your static pages on the web server, as plain
    html or Java Server Pages

Personnaly, I would rather consider starting into the Java Servlets / Java Server Pages direction, instead of php. 9iAS supports it very well, and that way you still can continue using pl/sql for data intensive coding. The combination is certainly more flexible than php.

regards Received on Wed May 15 2002 - 11:05:09 CEST

Original text of this message