Re: performance tuning question

From: Vlad G <vladgri_at_NO_hotmail_SPAM.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 03:59:16 GMT

> You should do this internally in Oracle not across a JDBC link. You
> don't mention where the data is coming from. On my W2K test machine, 1
> processor, 863 mghtz, single 30 gig disk it only requires about a
> minute to create and populate a 310K record table and updated each of
> the rows in 1.10 minutes. If it is taking several minutes then your
> system is severly out of tune or out of whack. JAVA should be used for
> calculations and procedural logic, not doing SQL. Use Oracle to do the
> SQL using PL/SQL procedures. Use bulk binds, use large array sizes.
>
> Mike

The problem is that I have to do calculations and procedural logic during update. Anyway, I got it improved a lot by not doing a select but rather doing an update followed by an insert if 0 rows were updated. The improvement is on order of 30 times, not sure why it is so good, this was the only change I made. Thanks everybody for your help.

Vladimir. Received on Tue May 07 2002 - 05:59:16 CEST

Original text of this message