Re: oracle 8i install problem on RedHat Linux 7.0. Need help!

From: vr <vr_at_DesiConsulting.com>
Date: 4 May 2002 10:01:15 -0700

I have managed to get it to work. The solution follows.

(All my posts to the newsgroups so far via groups.google.com have gone
without replies. I wonder if it is a problem with groups.google.com.)

In the installation guide (from Oracle), one of the requirements was "GLIBC package version 2.1 or higher". Since I had 2.1.92 (or something like that, definitely higher than 2.1), I never suspected that to be the cause of problems. Since I tried everything, and nothing worked, I thought I should try "glibc patch" from Oracle before installing Suse Linux 7.1/7.2 (which are certified by Oracle). I tried the patch and it worked!

The standard installation fails during database creation. When it failed (I guess we can kill the installation after getting that far if using typical installation or not have database created if using custom installation), I installed the glibc patch and started "dbassist" manually. When I chose "dbassist" to create the database
(instead of saving it to a file), database creation failed. I then
tried "save it to a file" (not the exact words) and ran the script that "dbassist" generated. This time it worked.

I hope this helps someone with similar/same problem.

-vr Received on Sat May 04 2002 - 19:01:15 CEST

Original text of this message