oracle 8i install problem on RedHat Linux 7.0. Need help!

From: vr <vr_at_desiconsulting.com>
Date: 2 May 2002 11:01:22 -0700

Hi all!

I'm trying to install 8i on RedHat Linux 7.0. I've tried everything (that I could find on the internet, even what is said in http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/817.html), but have not been successful. I recompiled the kernel with SHMMAX bumped up but the same old problem, ORA-03114, keeps coming up. Even when I use "dbassist" separately (not as part of, but after, 8i installation), I still get ORA-03114. This comes up after 82% of creating the database is complete. I tried using JDK1.1.8 and also JDK1.2.2. Same problem. Even after recompiling the kernel, ORA-03114 pops up exactly after 82% of creating the database is complete.

Here are my questions:
1) I'm sure some of you got 8i working on RH7.0. Any suggestions?
2) Should I upgrade to RH7.1? Will that help? Any caveats? 3) Should I, instead, upgrade to RH7.2? Again, any caveats?

My h/w: dual 733MHz PIII, 512 MB RAM, >15 GB (disk space available on a single partition), 550 MB swap space.

(I'm installing 8i so that I can work on the assignments for the class I've taken. Hence, my load on database will not be high and this hardware should be able to handle it. I can change the partition/s and swap space if I have to reinstall or upgrade the OS.)

Thanks in advance.

-svp Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 20:01:22 CEST

Original text of this message