Re: Problems with ORA-01578

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Apr 2002 21:16:36 -0700

Soeren <Soeren_member_at_newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<aa3uqm01psc_at_drn.newsguy.com>...
> Hi group
>
> I have a problem with an Oracle 8.0.5.database running on SuSe Linux.
>
> The problem is with a file belonging to the rollback segments. Due to a
> harddrive being full (I know.....) a block error has occurred in the file,
> probably due to lacking the ability to write to the datafiles.
>
> What I get now when trying to open the database is ORA-00604 and ORA-01578.
>
> Now, I can't remove the block error in any way, so, next move is to drop the
> tablespace. Can't do - the ORA-01578 apparently also prevents this from being
> done, at least that's what it says on the screen.
You can drop the file. I don't remember exact sequence of steps, consult with Oracle Backup and Recovery Manual.
Before doing these steps, you might want to remove private rollback segments from init.ora. It's also a good idea to do a cold backup. It goes like this:
1. Use startup mount command to mount database. Don't open it. Now, if you are in archivelog mode, it's easy. Just restore file from backup before this problem occured and run RECOVER DATAFILE. If not:
2. Use alter database command to take data file offline and drop it.

3. Create a new datafile for this tablespace. I don't remember if you have to open database yet.

4. Drop old rollback segments and create new ones.

Again, I might remember it wrong, so consult manual first!