Re: recovery of control file

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 22:48:31 +0200

Phil Paxman wrote:

> Would anyone know why datafiles must be online before a control file can
> be restored from backup? I have a situation where I might need to keep a
> datafile offline. Can I still recover the controlfile from backup

Are you referring to recover database using backup controlfile?

Information about to which point a recovery needs to be done in order to get a consistent database is located in the controlfile(s). If you have lost your controlfile(s) for whatever reason, it is possible to recover with an old controlfile, using the above statement. AFAIK, the data will then be used from the datafiles (which do contain the same information), not the controlfile.   Received on Fri Apr 19 2002 - 22:48:31 CEST

Original text of this message