Re: ERwin vs. Visio

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:13:21 GMT

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:59:15 GMT, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>The ERWin I normally use is reasonably old, 3.5.2 though I have worked with
>4.x and found no significant advantages for what I do with it ... generally
>make pretty pictures to display at meetings.
>
>Daniel Morgan

Actually I'm working with ERwin 4.0 in several projects. Sorrily they introduced new bugs, that didn't happen in 3.5.2. So I had a lot of mail traffic with CA support. Since CA swallowed Platinum, development of the tool seems to have slowed down...

ERwin 4.0 has more capabilities to make pretty pictures than 3.5.2, so I would go with the newer version. On the other side, 4.0 doesn't support many 8.1 and even 8.0 features (IOTs, compressed indexes, deferrable constraints etc.).

What I really appreciate about the tool are it reverse engineering and script generating capabilities.

regards
Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de Received on Fri Apr 19 2002 - 21:13:21 CEST