Re: sql net v1 vs. v2

From: Andre Doehn <andre_do_at_gmx.net>
Date: 26 Mar 2002 14:44:16 -0800

> The real difference is that you need a separate driver for each
> protocol in V1 and you don't in V2. Hence V2 supports multiprotocol
> interchange: you can have SPX on one side and TCP/IP on the other
> side.
> Also V2 supports Oracle Names, a DNS facility for Oracle databases,
> and encryption using the Kerberos and other security protocols.
> Sqlnet, running tcp/ip, uses one port to communicate from client to
> server, and another one to communicate from server to client.
> The need for this has been taken away in the sucessor of sqlnet v2,
> net8.

thank you - when i setup a default oracle 8i server with tcp/ip communication, ive only one destination port from the net8 client to my server and it works(ok...there is firewall between the client and the server and only destination port 1521 is permitted to pass through)
when i try to connect to an oracle 7 server it doesnt work! ..what happend here exactly? maybe like that: the client requests a sql connection to destination port 1521 and the server respond with port redirection ..."please connect me at port 1031"...the client tries to connect to this port 1031 and will be rejected by my firewall? this only happens with sql net v1?? i know about sql net application proxy for this issue but is there a possibility to change the oracle 7 server/client settings?

thank you again!
bye
andre Received on Tue Mar 26 2002 - 23:44:16 CET

Original text of this message