Re: CREATE DATABASE using OCI, is it possible?

From: rizzo2k_at_hotmail.com <(rizzo2k_at_hotmail.com)>
Date: 12 Mar 2002 23:04:19 -0800

Essentially, I'm trying to create a database in which I can subsequently create some tables (4 actually) which are linked thru a common index. The database "dbname" would represend some general category and the tables would contain text and data pertaining to that category. So each database would be a mirror or the other except for the actual data content.

Unfortunately, most of my SQL background comes from working with mySQL which allows you to create a database on the fly. I'm trying to keep to SQL99 syntax to be able to port the application to other RDBMS. Thus far, I've been able to get mySQL and oracle to go over with some work except for this...

How would one use SCHEMA to simulate the "CREATE DATABASE..." command.

Thanks Mark

-Zo

Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:<B8B40F0E.15F86%markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>...
> in article 6de30668.0203121252.1b5d8147_at_posting.google.com,
> rizzo2k_at_hotmail.com at rizzo2k_at_hotmail.com wrote on 3/12/02 12:52 PM:
>
> Well - you could try CREATE SCHEMA - but I have to ask - why do you want to
> create a DB (or schema) on the fly ? Perhaps there is a better solution to
> the problem you are trying to solve
>
> > hello,
> >
> > I'd like to be able to have an application create a database in the
> > oracle server (8i) by using the OCI APIs. I'm starting to get the
> > uncomfortable sense that this won't be possible. Needless to say, I'm
> > fairly new to oracle.

<SNIP> Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 08:04:19 CET

Original text of this message