Modeling Question

From: John Bossert <jbossert_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 04:14:13 GMT

I have two kinds of Parts: Telephones and Accessories. Only certain Accessories   can be sold with certain Telephones.

I'm thinking of creating a Parts table, with two sub-tables: Phone_Details and Accessory_Details to hold the type-specific information.

Then, I'm thinking of creating a Phones_Accessories intersection table that would contain two Part_ID fields - one for the part:telephone and one for the part:accessory.

Is there a better/alternative way to normalize this kind of arrangement? I really don't want to create separate tables for Telephones and Accessories. Thanks.

--
John Bossert

In what concerns you much, do not think that you
have companions: know that you are alone in the world.

             -- Henry David Thoreau