Re: problem in creating a new sequence(oracle 8i web db)

From: J.P. <jp_boileau_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2002 14:10:14 -0800

I know exactly what his problem is...

When you create a sequence, make sure that you use the 'NOCACHE' option. Otherwise, 20 values will be cached (default value is 20 I think). Anytime the database is shutdown (nightly, for backups, I assume), you will "lose" the cached values.

In any event, the performance hit of using 'NOCACHE' is not very significant for a small to medium OLTP.

Also, if your application is dependent on the sequence being truly sequential... You may want to review your data model! :)

JP