ORA-04030: out of process memory

From: Rex <rg_at_online.no>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:41:39 +0100

...when trying to allocate x bytes.

Have created a database on 8.1.7.2 EE on HP-UX (11.0). Adding JVM to new db and job crashes when it runs a JVM script called jisja.sql (which turns on JAccelerator (ncomp) for JIS). Comment out this script and rerun job and I get the same error (ORA-04030) at several other points along the JVM job resulting in an unsuccessful install of JVM against the db.

Searched Oracle Metalink and most refs found were for the initjvm.sql scripts producing the
same error. Metalink solution was to check ulimit and up the memory allocated to the
user. Have checked (as root) with ulimit -a and received the following output:

time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         65536
stack(kbytes)        8192
memory(kbytes)       unlimited
coredump(blocks)     4194303

nofiles(descriptors) 2048
However I am running the job as the Oracle user (oracle), who is a user on the NIS, and try
to get the same info with ulimit -a and it gives me "ksh: ulimit: bad option(s)". When I try
'ulimit' (with no args) I get "4194303" which I take to be the coredump(blocks) output similar
to what was given for roots' ulimit -a. All docs found give advice to increase the memory
for this user (oracle). How is this done? I have tried "ulimit -m unlimited" as the oracle user
with the error "ksh: ulimit: bad option(s)".

Or am I totally in the wrong direction and its something other than the ulimit thing?

Any help with this appreciated from either the Oracle or HP-UX groups.

Thanx in advance.
Rex Received on Fri Feb 22 2002 - 13:41:39 CET

Original text of this message