Re: Shutting Down Oracle

From: Dave <david.mather_at_bshg.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2002 01:09:45 -0800

mngong_at_yahoo.com (michael ngong) wrote in message news:<ecf365d5.0202210659.466e6ff_at_posting.google.com>...
> david.mather_at_bshg.com (Dave) wrote in message news:<8e59a54.0202200951.7d8cf22c_at_posting.google.com>...
> > How often do you recommend shutting down oracle instances. We run two
> > kinds of instance scenarios, one with a listener running for clients
> > and one without. To give an idea of how much our systems are uses: we
> > set our redo log files to 20MB and we get through anything from 1 to
> > 12 of these a day on some systems.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>

> There are few variables you may need to consider before making such a
> decision
> Are you a 24 by 7 shop or an 8 by 5.How large are your databases?
> What backup strategy to you have in place etc.
> There seems to be a lot going on in your system from the redo log
> activity.
> It is good to do colds about once a week where you may need to shut
> down oracle and it could be dependent again on your system setup
> Michael Ngong ( Sr DBA)

Dave here again
We have recently started to run 24 by 7 by shop on our larger instances. These larger instances of ours are still relativly small by Oracle standards, the largest data files being 6GB and the complete file collection being around 9GB. Our smaller instances are around 2GB in total size. We normally have once instance per Oracle installation, with one exception where we have two instances on a single oracle installation. We do hot backups daily. I am also very interested in knowing any advantage in doing colds once a week. Thanks. Received on Fri Feb 22 2002 - 10:09:45 CET

Original text of this message