Re: Shutting Down Oracle

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Feb 2002 06:59:34 -0800

david.mather_at_bshg.com (Dave) wrote in message news:<8e59a54.0202200951.7d8cf22c_at_posting.google.com>...
> How often do you recommend shutting down oracle instances. We run two
> kinds of instance scenarios, one with a listener running for clients
> and one without. To give an idea of how much our systems are uses: we
> set our redo log files to 20MB and we get through anything from 1 to
> 12 of these a day on some systems.
>
> Thanks for any help.

There are few variables you may need to consider before making such a decision
Are you a 24 by 7 shop or an 8 by 5.How large are your databases? What backup strategy to you have in place etc. There seems to be a lot going on in your system from the redo log activity.
It is good to do colds about once a week where you may need to shut down oracle and it could be dependent again on your system setup Michael Ngong ( Sr DBA) Received on Thu Feb 21 2002 - 15:59:34 CET

Original text of this message