Re: OCP-DBA

From: John Claxton <claxton_at_networkessentials.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2002 07:18:23 -0800

George,

     The 'best books' are the student workbooks that go with the Oracle courses. Without the related labs and seeded databases, they won't do you much good.

     Don't exactly understand Q#2. If you're asking about a career as a DBA and the requirement for OCP ... that depends. I'm a 'consultant'. It helps. If I was at a few-person shop, it might help cover a hole in the wall, but I doubt if it would mean more pre$tige.

     You can get through the exams before real-live experience as a dba. However, don't expect to walk out of the exams prepared for every real-world experience. And I wouldn't expect someone that has been doing the same dba job for 5 years in a consistent (limited) environment to be able to breeze through the exam. We have a tendency to do the same thing the same way time after time.

     The job market is much softer today than it was this time last year. The bubble has burst. But we're (in the US) still running under 6% unemployment. I doubt if its that high in the Tech areana. I live/work near RTP (NC) where there were a *lot* of dot coms. I know a lot of people that have had a change of job recently, but most (not all) found employment in short order.

     We have over 1,000 sample OCP type questions at our site that may help you study:

     http://www.networkessentials.com
Good luck!
jc