Can't open database after restoring the control files from RMAN

From: KENNY L. CHEN <kenny_60559_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2002 03:59:25 -0800

Hello, experts,

I can't open Oracle database (Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux Red Hat 7.0) after restoring the control files from RMAN.

Here is what I did:

  1. full backup my database with the following RMAN script:

connect target /;
connect catalog rman/rman_at_rman;
run {
allocate channel c1 type disk;
sql 'alter system switch logfile';
backup full format '/var/orcl/backup/dbf_%d_%s.bck' filesperset 1 (database);
backup format '/var/orcl/backup/arc_%d_%s.bck' (archivelog all delete input);
backup current controlfile format '/var/orcl/backup/ctl_%d_%s.bck'; release channel c1;
}

2. shutdown DB immediate then move all control files to other directory.

3. restart database in nomount mode.

4. run the following RMAN script to restore control files: connect target /;
connect catalog rman/rman_at_rman;
run {
allocate channel c1 type disk;
restore controlfile;
sql "alter database mount";
restore archivelog all;
restore database;
recover database;
release channel c1;
sql "alter database open resetlogs";
}

After above steps, the Oracle database can just in mount mode. All backup files are restored to corresponding directories.

The error message prompted after executing "alter database open resetlogs"
=>

ORA-01152: file 1 was not restored from a sufficiently old backup ORA-01110: data file 1: '/var/orcl/sysfiles/system01.dbf'

Did I do something wrong in my scripts or procedures ???????

Ken Received on Mon Feb 18 2002 - 12:59:25 CET

Original text of this message