Best way to move DB from Sun/Solaris 7 to Linux?

From: Evan <marndolf_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2002 21:46:47 -0800

I want to move our Oracle DB from our Solaris 7 machine to a Linux machine (well, copy it, not move it). I was thinking of using imp & exp to do this, but I don't know if this will work. So my questions are:

  1. Is it "practically" possible to recreate a db that's on Sun on a Linux machine? By practically I mean I would like the two to be synced reasonably frequently, so downloading the entire db each time is probably not the best way to do it...
  2. If it is possible, are imp & exp the best tools for the job?
  3. If not, what's a better way?

The Sun server is at a hosting facility far away and the Linux box is in our office on our crappy DSL line, but currently an exp + gzip of all the tables we use results in a ~30 MB file, which is pretty reasonable I guess.

Any help is appreciated...
Evan Received on Sat Feb 16 2002 - 06:46:47 CET

Original text of this message