Using Advance Replication for updating content from one server to the other...

From: Christian Sylvestre <csyl_at_okami.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2002 05:49:51 -0800

Hello. I am looking for a good solid solution for a little/big problem ;-)

I have 2 Oracle DB server running on 2 diffrent machines.

The first DB server is used as the "staging/publishing" server. I.e. content updates are made on that server and approved on that server.

We then need to push these content updates to the production DB server.

However this need to be:
- Done on demand.

Here are the 3 solutions we looked at:

1- Trapping every DML (Update/Delete/Insert) done on the application level and writing them to a "kind" of script. Then copying that script from the "staging/publishing" server to the production DB server and then running that script with sqlplus from the command line.

2- Using a Database comparison tool to compare the 2 DB and then build a script that could be applied to the production server.

3- Using Oracle Replication to replicate the subset of the data from the "staging/publishing" server to the production DB server.

FYI: The two severs are running 8.1.7 on AIX and the production servers are using Oracle HA (High Availability) Parallele servers.

Option 1 is feasible but has a lot of failure points. Opction 2 could work but we have not found any command line comparison tools for UNIX... We are in favour of option 3 but we are not sure if Advance Replication would allow us to do so. I know that you can actually replicate only specific tables, but is it possible to replicate specific data in a table (based on a defined query)?

Any comments/idea (even crazy ones) would be welcome!!!

Cheers,

Christian Received on Fri Feb 15 2002 - 14:49:51 CET

Original text of this message