ODBC - Problem with VARCHAR(16383)

From: bob brown <bobrown_at_start.com.au>
Date: 13 Feb 2002 00:55:50 -0800

ODBC - Problem with VARCHAR(16383)

I have a web application (ASP) that connects to the Oracle Rdb database via ODBC installed on the web server (IIS).
The problem I am having is with a field (in OracleRdb) with data type VARCHAR(16383). From my understanding, VARCHAR(16383) is translated into a Memo field in Access.

When I tried to run the code (see below) that updates to this VARCHAR(16383) field (i.e. explanation field), I noticed that it can only accept up to 255 characters. Any characters that exceeds 255 will result in a total corruption of the field data.

Is there an issue with the OracleRdb ODBC that we should know about? Can you also tell me the version of the ODBC that supports this?

-----------------Extract of code----------------------
<!-- #Include file="ADOVBS.INC" -->

' Update description & explanation into database Set oCmd = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")

With oCmd
.ActiveConnection = dbconn
.CommandType = adCmdText
.CommandText = "update tbl_news set description = ?, explanation = ?
where news_id = ?"
.Parameters.Append
.CreateParameter("description",adVarChar,adParamInput,len(description),descr
iption)
.Parameters.Append
.CreateParameter("explanation",adVarChar,adParamInput,len(explanation),expla

nation)
.Parameters.Append
.CreateParameter("news_id",adInteger,adParamInput,len(news_id),news_id)
End With

set rs = oCmd.Execute

Regards
Bob. Received on Wed Feb 13 2002 - 09:55:50 CET

Original text of this message