Re: Restrict user access to table records by value

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 12 Feb 2002 06:45:03 -0800

klwong_at_swire.com.au (KL Wong) wrote in message news:<5e65d905.0202120111.27d33a8e_at_posting.google.com>...
> We are using Oracle 8i with Crystal Decision product Seagate Info as
> reporting tools. Would like to check if there are any feature
> available in Oracle that can restrict user access to table records by
> value.
>
> For example:
>
> User A can access TABLE A record with field A = XYZ
> User B can access TABLE A record with field A = ABC
> User C can access TALBE A record with field A = any combination
>
> If oracle itself can do that by configuration, then we do not require
> to hardcode or build logic in Seagate Info reporting to perform all
> these restrictions checking.
>
> Appreciate any input.
>
> B.Rgds/KL

Oracle 8i and higher have a facility called Fine Grained Access Control. Probably this available in the Enterprise Edition only. It allows you to hide rules like you have in something called 'policy' The report knows nothing about it, it is fully transparent.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Feb 12 2002 - 15:45:03 CET

Original text of this message