Re: Questions for Oracle Developers

From: No Name <louisparsonsusa_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:18:03 GMT

My OCP DBA certificate was well worth the (fully deductible) $600 I put into it. Don't pay for classes, but you will know more about Oracle than the next guy after you pass those tests. And hiring supervisors worth their salt know it! I got the DBA certificate even though i don't like the DBA duties, because that subject matter is not well understood by the average developer (or DBA for that matter). Those that know the knowledge level required to get the oracle certificates are impressed by them. Conversely, nearly all of the people that do not like the OCP certifications are not certified. Why is that do you suppose?? I am working through the Java path now.

About Mr. Morgans other points i agree completely - especially the time donation point.

When I started - in the early 80's - companies would take anyone who could spell MIS. One company asked one question before hiring me over the phone, "Do you know what a view is?".

Now, (especially given the recession, e-commerce in the toilet, etc.) you need the degree, and the certifications because you young scamps just keep coming into the job market, giving hiring supervisors at least some choice. Another problem for someone trying to break into the trade now is the ability of companies to send some (or all) of their well/completely designed and documented development to India. You need to be able to compete with me, Mr. Morgan, and a bunch of Indian companies for the job you are after.

Regarding pay, perm employees (all things being equal) get 20-40% less than consultants. If you want to go the consulting route, watch for snakes. In particular - ask what your services are to be billed at, if you are to get less than 35% of the billed rate or the guy won't tell you, he is taking advantage of your trusting nature. I've been billed at $100 per hour and got paid $55,000 per year (not very long of course), you do the math. The people I am with now - Intellimark-IT - are straight shooters, the best. (At least in the Kansas City office).

Louis