Re: Export from VMS

From: Dick <d.w.pluim_at_kpn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:43:21 +0100

"Dan" <daniel.meyer_at_publilink.be> schreef in bericht news:c0286d9e.0201310257.670bb009_at_posting.google.com...

> I have a OpenVMS server, on which Oracle "should" be installed. I'm
> neither the programmer nor the provider of the application, this is
> why I say "should", but I need urgently to export the data.
> I have been able to locate the data files, there is one ROO file and
> each time a pair of DBS and a SNP files with differents names (a.dbs &
> a.snp, b.dbs & b.snp, etc.). How can I do that ?
> I should be able to copy the files to an another server (W2K or Linux)
> running a recent version of Oracle.

Worked with RDB on VMS, but not too familiar with it, so I dropped the question to a former colleague, which told me the following:

Sounds more like DBMS than RDB. You can export the data. For RDB it is RMU/UNLOAD, for DBMS it is DBO/UNLOAD.
When copying the files you should use DBO/COPY or RMU/COPY or with DBO/BACKUP and /RESTORE.

I don't know how the structure of an export-file (DMP-file) looks like after UNLOAD. If it's the same after an EXP from an Oracle-database than you should be able to import it, otherwise I can't see a way to do so, maybe somebody else with both thorough RDB/DBMS-knowledge and thorough Oracle-knowledge.

> For your information, the following software is installed on the Alpha
> Server :
> VMS V6.2
> RDB-RT V6.1
> TDMSE V2.1-27
> DBMS V6.1
> CDD+ V6.1
With kind regards, Dick Received on Fri Feb 01 2002 - 08:43:21 CET

Original text of this message