Re: Migrating from Win 2000 to Unix.

From: Tony <tdunn_at_lynxxsolutions.com>
Date: 1 Feb 2002 07:22:05 -0800

vadolt_at_yahoo.com (vdolt) wrote in message news:<25903991.0201300725.64ad7069_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am currently running Oracle 8.1.6 on Win 2000
> Dell 4 x 1Ghz processors. We need to migrate to
> Unix environment and I don't know what would be comparable system
> to run Unix?
> Also, which is the better platform: Sun workstations
> or Compaq Tru64 Unix?
>
> Thank you.

Is running Linux on your existing Dell machine an option? In a few different instances, I've seen at least equivalent (if not better) performance running Oracle under Linux as compared to W2K on the same hardware.

Also, although I have no experience with Tru64, I find Oracle on Solaris8 to be a bit sluggish in comparison with roughly equivalent machines under Linux.

-Tony Received on Fri Feb 01 2002 - 16:22:05 CET

Original text of this message