OS authentication with Oracle8i on Windows 2000 Professional

From: F C <future_canadian_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 12:10:31 -0800

I have problems performing OS authentication with Windows 2000 Professional. Oracle Server is installed on the same

computer.

Here are the steps I performed :

Step 1 - logon Win2000 as 'administrator' and create a new user named 'eddie'.

Step 2 - check that my init.ora file has the following parameter os_authent_prefix = "". (My sqlnet.ora file has the

following parameter SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS), but I don'think it is relevant to my problem)

Step 3 - connect as system/manager and create a new user :

SQL> create user eddie
  2 identified externally
  3 default tablespace system
  4 quota 10 m on system
  5 /

Utilisateur créé.

SQL> grant create session, connect to eddie;

Autorisation de privilèges (GRANT) acceptée.

SQL> Step 4 - exit sqlplus

Step 5 - restart windows 2000 and logon as 'eddie' (I also tried with logging off administrator and logging on as eddie,

without restarting Windows, the result was the same)

Step 6 - at the command prompt

D:\>sqlplus /

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Me Jan 30 11:48:10 2002

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Entrez le nom utilisateur : eddie
Entrez le mot de passe :

If OS authentification was activated, I understand that I should not be required to enter a username. However, when I

enter the username, I am asked to enter a password that does not even exist.

Step 7 and + :

I also tried : 	- the sqlplus command without the slash;

- the ops$ prefix with an ops$eddie username for Oracle and eddie
username for Windows
- the same process on another computer (also Windows 2000).

Conclusion : it looks like Oracle does not recognize the Windows username, unless I missed one or more steps.

Has anyone encountered the same problem before? And most important, how did you fix it?

Thanks for your comments.

Eddie J Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 21:10:31 CET

Original text of this message