Re: ORA-12154: Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154

From: Xavier <xharel_at_manh.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2002 09:33:30 -0800

"Sharron D. Allen" <sharron_d_allen_at_west.raytheon.com> wrote in message news:<YCj58.93$Bd4.561_at_dfw-service2.ext.raytheon.com>...
> Hello All, I keep receiving these error messages when I try to connect to a
> network server using MS Access (DSN):
>
> Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154
> Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12538
>
> I know my tnsnames.ora file is correct. I am using the Microsoft Oracle ODBC
> driver. I can ping the server,.other applications (Vision ClearAccess and
> other company related programs) can access the database but MS Access or any
> Oracle related tool will not. Help !
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Sharron D Allen
> sharron_d_allen_at_west.raytheon.com

I have had a similar problem. Here is what happened, followed by my solution:
I had Oracle 8i client installed on my machine. Some 3rd party software required as a prerequisite the installation of msjavx86.exe. This is a microsoft package, which installs the java virtual machine. The problem is the microsoft software does not talk to the Oracle software, and I got the same error you did. When I then tried sql+, it was complaining about missing files.

My solution: I uninstalled oracle 8i, and installed ora9i client. After that, sql+ was working again, but I still could not connect to Oracle from the visual studio using OLEDB. This installation was successful, but did not update Microsoft information in the registry. Under the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\MTxOCI, Microsoft was still pointing to ora8i dlls, which did not exist anymore. I had to manually update the names of the DLLs in the values under those registry keys. That solved it for me. Received on Tue Jan 29 2002 - 18:33:30 CET

Original text of this message