Re: Thanks for the reply

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:30:16 -0500

Actually in most companies we only spend part of our day surfing the net. Coffee breaks and lunch are equally important. When you go to get your first DBA job be sure to tell the hiring manager you expect no deadlines, low stress and an appropriately modest work schedule. That way he won't be laboring under any false impressions of what to expect from you.

Van

"Justin" <justin_at_ca.ca> wrote in message news:nfJ48.18402$Ii5.4912179_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hey, Chris,
>
> Thanks for the reply, I took a look at the STS stuff, looks good though
> the price is kind of steep. Do you have any experience with STS ? Do you
> think reading oracle's documentation will help, though the volume is kind
 of
> overwhelming.
>
> I'm just curious, the DBAs I know seems just like Sys Admins, sitting
> there surfing the net all day, unless someone broke something or something
> really bad happend, which doesn't happen that often, while us poor
> programmers have to work day and night at every new feature release, which
> is almost every week.
>
> Justin
>
> "Chris Boyle" <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com> wrote in message
> > I would also skip the OCP CBTs from Oracle. They were the exact same
> > quality as Daniel found the book to be. Until Sybex or somebody comes
 out
> > with a book your only choice is class room training. You could get the
 STS
> > test. They will help you pass certification.
> >
> > I have never met a DBA that didn't have deadlines to meet and recovering
> > mission critical instance after a disk failure can't be considered
 relaxing.
> > DBA is different than programming but it can be just as stressful and
> > taxing.
> >
> > Good luck on the exams.
> >

> > "Justin" <justin_at_ca.ca> wrote in message
> > > Hi, there,
> > >
> > > I'm thinking about take oracle 9i ocp exam, at least the oca part,
 before
> > > looking for a dba job. Been a programmer too long, tired and laid off.
 Want