Re: Enterprise Manager / RMAN

From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 04:18:31 GMT

Your setup sounds very similar to mine. I have a management database on its own server which handles OEM, RMAN, and when I was testing it, Oracle Names. Since none of these systems are very heavily used at any one time, the hardware doesn't even need to be that brawny; I just used an old test server. Keeping these "management" systems on their own server separate from the production instances is another protection against failure.

By the way, you don't HAVE to use a recovery catalog for RMAN. The backup info can be stored in the database's control file; it's just more limiting.

-Jason Heinrich

"John Bossert" <jbossert_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:3C4B582A.5010608_at_usa.net...
> For the management of a small but mission-critical production environment,
 how are people deploying
> RMAN (which requires its own database/instance for the catalog) and
 Enterprise Manager (which