Max index key sizes in Oracle and Elsewhere

From: Paul McAdam <paul_mcadam_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2002 10:10:23 -0800

Hi,
  I have recently run up against the ORA-01540 error. This occurs when you try to create and index who's key is greater than the DB's block size(actually a lot less but that's not the issue). For Oracle this is fine, I just increased my db_block_size, which was not a problem as is a DSS system anyway.

   My question is this, does anyone know if similar problems occur in other RDBMS'? I am trying to design the DB to be as compatible as possible(I know, why bother, we all love Oracle, right? Still some crazy fool seems to think someone might want to use our app with something else. Screw them I say). Rather than increasing db_block_size I could have reduced the size of some of my columns. They are bigger than required at the moment but I am happy to leave them that way for increases flexibility and compatibility. However, am i asking for trouble here when I try to migrate to Sybase, DB2, whatever, only to find they have even worse limits on index key sizes? I am being lazy hear but if someone has already done the research I would appreciate any input.
Thanks and Regards,
Paul McAdam.
paul_at_genient.com Received on Mon Jan 21 2002 - 19:10:23 CET

Original text of this message