Re: Oracle to Oracle table merge

From: Russell Smith <rsmith_at_serck-controls.co.uk>
Date: 14 Jan 2002 05:51:23 -0800

"andrija" <ar35644_at_fer.hr> wrote in message news:<a1jgg1$dhg1$1_at_as201.hinet.hr>...
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to merge two tables (which are of the same structure)
> > between two servers. Both are running 8.0.5 and are on NT but; one is
> > Intel and the other Alpha. Does this confuse matters?
> > The table on the intel is being merged into the alpha's oracle
> > database, there is quiet a lot of data (3 or 4 gb+) to be copied; can
> > anyone estimate how long this would take over a 100mbit ethernet
> > connection? And how to do it?
>
> Try creating database link. First you should update your tnsnames.ora on
> Alpha so you can do tnsping from Alpha to intel, and then create database
> link in database on alpha. After that you can work with table on intel like
> your local table, and you can simply do
>
> insert into alphaTable
> select * from intelTable_at_intel.world;
>
> And that's it.
>
> If you're doing this once and never again, export and import may be better
> and faster thing to do, but if you need this on regular basis, then database
> link is better solution. Perhaps after creating database link you will not
> need to merge the tables, but you can create view so you can allways have
> the up-to-date data.

i only need to do this once; so the export import thing seems like a simpler idea. Any idea how long this will take; i have imported 370mb out of about 6.5gb of csv's and there are 13million rows?

As you may have guessed i am kinda new to oracle; it takes AGES like > minute to run this query;
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM testa;

Any ideas? Received on Mon Jan 14 2002 - 14:51:23 CET

Original text of this message