Re: How to find actual size of data in a table

From: raghu <raghu1ra_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2002 09:51:00 -0800

"Ati Rosselet" <ati.rosselet_at_clarmont.hu> wrote in message news:<a1h8m7$al5$1_at_proxy.interware.hu>...
> Does anyone know how to determine the actual szie of a table in oracle. Not
> the extent size, but the actual amount of that used by data. The logical
> table size is easy to get, but if I delete data from a table after an
> extent has been added, then I still get the max size as opposed to the
> actual size. I need this because I need to then copy that data to a remote
> database (long story), and I need to be sure that a) the table will fit in
> available space, and that b) space is not wasted (as would be if using the
> size value corresponding to that max size)
> Thanks (please respond to my email address as well as the newsgroup since I
> seem to be having intermittent trouble accesseing the newsgroups..)
>
> Ati
> Ati Rosselet
> C L A R M O N T Information Systems Ltd.
>
> www.clarmont.hu email: ati.rosselet_at_clarmont.hu
>
> * Privileged/confidential information may be contained in this
> * message. This communication is confidential and intended
> * solely for the addressee(s). Unauthorized distribution,
> * modification or disclosure of the contents may be unlawful.
> * If you receive this in error, please notify the sender and
> * delete it from your system. If you are not the addressee
> * indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the
> * message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this
> * message to anyone. Please advise immediately if you or your
> * employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of
> * this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in
> * this message that do not relate to the official business of
> * CLARMONT Systems Ltd shall be understood as neither given nor
> * endorsed by it. Views expressed herein do not necessarily
> * reflect those of CLARMONT Systems Ltd

hi roslet
you can use the function vsize() which will give the actual size of the data in bytes i.e select sum(vsize(column name)) from table will give you total size of the data in that column in bytes. for further clarifaction contact to my email address

regards

raghu
Certified DBA Received on Wed Jan 09 2002 - 18:51:00 CET

Original text of this message