Re: INTERNAL, SYS, SYSTEM system users

From: djuly <djuly_at_wanadoo.nl>
Date: 31 Dec 2001 07:11:20 -0500

Stjepan Brbot wrote:
> INTERNAL, SYS and SYSTEM: for me the meaning and difference among these
> three system users is a bit foggy and I will appreciate any efforts in
> explanation or link to site where's that birefly explained.
> --
> Stjepan Brbot <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR

For the oracle 8 version the user internal is nearly the same as the user sys. The user sys owns all the dictionary tables and views. Normally you cannot start (or shutdown the database) as sys. Why? The user sys is defined in the database (which is not running when you start it up). That is the reason you cannot start a database with the user sys. You have to login as internal. For the user internal there is a password file located in the dbs directory. When it the database is down you can therefore connect as internal. However, you can make the user sys to start and shutdown the database and it makes use of the password file. Log in as internal.
SQL> grant sysdba to sys.
with the statement an entry is made in the password file for the user sys. shutdown the database. Startup the database with sqlplus /nolog SQL> connect sys/<passord> as sysdba
the database should start However, in future releases of oracle internal will become obsolete. you would only have the user sys and system. Note that it is even possible to give sysdba to the user system. You have to alter the init.ora file if necessary.

--
Ir. A.P. Djuly
Gabon Straat 5

Ir. A.P. Djuly