Re: Schema Design Question

From: raghu <raghu1ra_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 29 Dec 2001 02:44:00 -0800

kumar_kmk_at_hotmail.com (Kumar) wrote in message news:<bce41b15.0112282243.1a220c70_at_posting.google.com>...
> Raghu
> Thanks for your reply, I got a little lost here may be you can clarify
> You are suggesting that If we have a varchar2 type of size 1000 and
> put just
> 1 character oracle optimizes it to 1 character size such that there is
> no 999 penalty. Ok in that case why should I have 3 tables with <10
> <20 <30 ( < less than) fields why dont I declare say 100 or whatever
> columns of varchar and proceed with the solution of 1 table ( since
> oracle anyhow does not wast space if we do not use). Am I missing
> something. Please let me know.
> I am working in USA.

hi kumar
yes you are right oracle optimizes to 1 character size. you can proceed with the one table solution but oracle also tries to store the details of the column also, i mean the size , the name of the column in the data dictionary. but although these details occupy less space but if we consider the case of 100 columns with thousand of records then it may become substantial. keeping the above in view i suggested three diffrent tables across different ranges of columns or what ever your range you may select. so that inputs of same range of columns can be in one table. this way you can optimize the space utilization. Received on Sat Dec 29 2001 - 11:44:00 CET

Original text of this message