Re: Book recommendations for beginner DBA

From: Kirti Deshpande <kirti_deshpande_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2001 19:01:11 -0800

Tan Zheng Da <tzdREMOVE_at_linuxmail.org> wrote in message news:<3C28503B.4030900_at_linuxmail.org>...
> Hi, I am a UNIX system administrator (Solaris & Linux) with no prior
> database experience.
>
> I wish to learn about Oracle database administration -- things like
> installing, configuring, tuning, scaling, maintaining and backing up an
> Oracle DB server. I'm not interested in things like programming or
> developing for Oracle but most Oracle books I see are geared towards the
> programmer.
>
> Can someone recommend me good books to read to learn about Oracle DB
> server administration? Thanks.

I would suggest you check out a book titled "Oracle DBA 101" by Marlene Theriault, Rachel Carmichael, Jim Viscusi (ISBN 0072121203) published by Oracle Press/Osborne McGraw-Hill. It is an excellent book for beginner Oracle DBAs. In addition, reviewing Oracle Concepts Guide (free at http://tahiti.oracle.com)would be beneficial in understanding how Oracle works.
Oracle software installation is H/W platform specific and Oracle provided Installation Guides are the best source to understand the steps involved in installing Oracle. You may also sign up for free at http://technet.oracle.com for technical tips, software downloads for evaluation etc.
Good Luck..

  • Kirtikumar Deshpande