Re: Saving Current time in a date field from SYSDATE

From: Paul <teague_at_isccomm.idede.itg.is.irs.gov>
Date: 14 Dec 2001 12:37:13 -0800

> I'm not sure if I got your question right, but what I understand is
> that you want to insert the return value of sysdate into a date field
> of a table. If this is what you are trying to do, you could directly
> insert sysdate into a date field of a table.
> E.g.
> insert into the_table
> values(sysdate, 'c','v',123);
>
> Trust this helps.
> Regards,
> Ram.
I regularly use the SYSDATE function to populate date fields in various tables. Both as a default value and fired from before row triggers. The problem here is that the time stored by this method is always 12:00.
What I need to do is to store the current system time in the date field. I can get current time by executing select to_char(sysdate,'fmHH24:MM:SS') from dual; The only problem here is that the time is now a character versus being date data.

Paul Received on Fri Dec 14 2001 - 21:37:13 CET

Original text of this message