Re: Displaying output before script terminates, using svrmgrl

From: Murali <oraclems_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2001 14:49:09 -0800

mary.l.sullivan_at_marconi.com (Mary) wrote in message news:<3691f489.0112070823.58c88d40_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a sql script that will take any where from 2 minutes to many
> hours to complete. I would like to see the output while the script is
> running, to determine the length of time. I know DMBS_OUTPUT package
> only displays the buffer when the script is complete - is there a way
> around this? Or is there another option?
>
> Thanks!

Are you running a SQL statement or pl/sql procedure ? Since you mentioned DBMS_OUTPUT, I am assuming that you are actually calling a procedure or pl/sql block from your script.

> I know DMBS_OUTPUT package
> only displays the buffer when the script is complete

I dont know what you mean by this. If you are using pl/sql, then just output the begining and ending times before executing your code.

declare

.
.
.

begin
dbms_output('First part of procedure started at '||to_char(sysdate, 'MM/DD/YYYY HH:MI:SS PM')); your code for first part

dbms_output('First part of procedure ended at '||to_char(sysdate, 'MM/DD/YYYY HH:MI:SS PM')||', second part starting...);

your code for second part

dbms_output('Second part of procedure completed at '||to_char(sysdate, 'MM/DD/YYYY HH:MI:SS PM'));

.
.
.

end;

If you are executing sql statements, spool to a file and just insert select sysdate from dual;
in between statements.

Murali Received on Fri Dec 14 2001 - 23:49:09 CET

Original text of this message