Going off Oracle support - ramifications?

From: Cost Conscious Manager <huzzaboo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Dec 2001 11:38:41 -0800

Hi,

For obvious reasons, I have to post this anonymously. I'm being asked to cut costs in my department to meet short term financial goals. One area where I've been asked to investigate cost cutting is in software maintenance. We run an Oracle database on unix behind a public web site. We currently license Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition on the 4-year plan (we're two years in). We have OracleSILVER Product Support along with the updates subscription service.

My question is, what are the ramifications of going off Oracle support? Obviously, we would not be privy to new releases of the software, and potentially important patches. I assume our access to Metalink would be locked out, they wouldn't take our calls, etc.

Are there other ways (i.e. pay as you go) to get Oracle support on an as-needed basis?
What is the scenario should we, in the future, decide to get back on support? Will Oracle charge us for all past years of missed support? Does anyone have any experience working out creative support options during tough times?

Much appreciated,

Cost Conscious IT Manager Received on Thu Dec 13 2001 - 20:38:41 CET

Original text of this message