Re: no symbols in export to rtf-file

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 13 Dec 2001 01:12:16 -0800

"G.M. Cassee" <cassee_at_chem.vu.nl> wrote in message news:<3C1744E1.E7966D6C_at_chem.vu.nl>...
> Hello, is there anybody who can help us finding the solution for the
> following problem?
> With the help of Oracle we enter information on articles in a database
> on a website. The titles of these articles often contain symbols like
> mu, nu, sigma etc., and sometimes even equations. Until recently it was
> not possible to enter these characters in the database, they didn't show
> when opening the data lateron. Now that is fixed, but another - even
> bigger - problem remains: once exported to a rtf or a print, the symbols
> disappear, are preceeded by another strange character (not entered!) or
> become little blocks. How can we solve this? Can it be solved at all
> anyway? Or will the only possibility be entering [sigma] or [Sigma], and
> replace those lateron in the text file?
> For your information: I am a secretary here, not a programmer... but
> nobody here (at the faculty of (exact) sciences) seems to know...

mmmm. I can imagine good old Abraham Kuijper turning in his grave. (Not that you can help it)
Obviously, the characterset of the database and the characterset of the client (Windows?) should match.
At the client side this means characterset 850 has to be supported, and the registry variable NLS_LANG (in \hklm\software\oracle) has to be set to American_America.WE8ISO8859P1.

If you need any further help, in this particular case I would be willing to further answer e-mails (in Dutch, obviously)

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
Alumnus of the UvA, musicology Received on Thu Dec 13 2001 - 10:12:16 CET

Original text of this message