Weird Problem with SQLPlus connection

From: Martin Stephenson <martinstephenson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:15:58 +0100

Hi All,

I am trying to connect to an Oracle Database on a UNIX server from my PC I have Installed Net8 on my PC (Windows 2000) and I can set up my Connection fine with the "Net8 Configuration Assistant" and I can run the Connection Test Successfully, however I can't connect with SQLPlus, The same happens with TOAD and I get the following error:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name Details:
*** First assume we have a valid install and registry
***

Oracle home is set to C:\oracle\ora81
Bin path is set to C:\oracle\ora81\bin\
oci.dll found
Using: C:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\oci.dll

2) Oracle Home Key is SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0 Looking for TNS_ADMIN environmental variable TNS_ADMIN environmental variable doesnt exist, looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key using home key: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0< TNS_ADMIN does not exist in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0 looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key in \Oracle: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0< Looking for OracleHomeKey\ORACLE_HOME
Oracle Path is now C:\oracle\ora81\Network\Admin Looking for C:\oracle\ora81\Network\Admin\tnsnames.ora tnsnames.ora found
tnsnames entry: LEWISP - LEWIS HOTEL

So, it uses the Correct tnsnames.ora file One of the other guys here has installed Net8 and connects with no Problems and he has the same tnsname.ora !!!

Also, if I go back into "Net8 Configuration Assistant" and select "Test Connection" it works fine !!!

Any ideas as to why this is happening would be great

Thanks

Martin. Received on Fri Dec 07 2001 - 15:15:58 CET

Original text of this message