Re: Can't install Oracle 8 from CD

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 3 Dec 2001 05:41:55 -0800

"Peter Chatterton" <chatt_at_millcomm.com> wrote in message news:<20gO7.28167$Vm5.4942630_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> I get the following when i installed Oracle 8 from CD (which i've done
> before)
> This is version 8.0.4.0.0 which i bought from oracle as i recall.
>
> stopsrvc.vrf(78): Type mismatch in arg 0 when calling contains.
>
> stopsrvc.vrf(78): STRING expected when LIST found.
> (when analyzing dependencies for SQL*Net Client )
>
> I'm doing a standard install on win2k.
> I had it installed on this hard drive a year ago then moved it to this
> machine when the mother board died.
> I deleted the orant directory, there seemed to be nothing significant in the
> registry.
> I did have JDeveloper 3.1 installed and was using it very recently and
> Control Panel thinks it's still there, but its dir doesn't seem to be there.
> I can't think why i would have just done a straight delete but i guess i
> did. I got rid of it because the 9i install said to, but i'm backing off of
> 9i because i can't download it.
>
> Hope you can help,
> Peter.

First version certified for win2k is 8.1.6 Oracle 8.0.4 has been desupported years ago. I don't expect it will ever work on Win2k Two remarks about your download attempts: - you should use getright or a different download manager - you should be able to get 9i for $39.95 from the Oracle Store if you are in the USA

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Dec 03 2001 - 14:41:55 CET

Original text of this message