Creating a unique session to ORACLE from within a procedure.

From: Frank Suijkerbuijk <fsuijkerbuijk_at_home.nl>
Date: 29 Nov 2001 13:38:16 -0800

Hi.
I have built a few web HTML pages using ORACLE 8i and Webdb. The first web-page is a login+password screen. Using this login and passsword, I would like the user to login to ORACLE like s/he would using normal SQL Plus. What I would like to do is
(1) display in an HTML page sent by WebDB, a list of the users within
the database.
(2) Ask for the password.
(3) Create a unique session (maybe a session id) using that
userid+password so that the user logged on can only see and modify those db objects to which s/he has access.
(4) Use the unique session id to access the database.

I can do the first 2, but I haven't figured out the last 2 i.e how to create a unique session for each user using the id and password. This loginid+password combination must be the same that the user would use from within SQL Plus.

I know I can do that within a C program using EXEC SQL to connect to the database. But this is from inside an ORACLE procedure. How can I create a unique session for different users who log in?

Thanks in advance for any help. Received on Thu Nov 29 2001 - 22:38:16 CET

Original text of this message