Re: Load slowing down?

From: news <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:19:12 GMT

Ahh. I was thinking of it the other way, but what you describe is the symptom I was thinking of.
If you can truncate or drop and create the load table just prior to a load
(or after the completion of a good load) then that will probably help. What is going on is that in a full table scan is that Oracle scans ALL the database blocks that are below the high water mark whether or not they have data in them or not. For example, if you built a table and loaded a 1,000,000 rows and then deleted them the high water mark would be up to the last database block that the 1,000,000 rows occupied. If you then insert 1 row and issue a query that does a full table scan then Oracle will scan ALL the database blocks that the 1,000,000 occupied. OUCH! By issuing a truncate table xxx; you reset the high water mark (and lose all the data in the table) or you can drop and rebuild the table for the same. If you look at the query against the load table you might be able to build an index that makes accessing the load table faster (also analyze the table and index) after the data is loaded into the load table from sqlloader. Jim