Trouble with SSH and Oracle SQL Plus Connections

From: John Lawless <techno_at_avuetech.com>
Date: 15 Nov 2001 13:33:36 -0800

Hi,
I am having issues connecting to a remote DB via an SSH tunnel. I have an Oracle 8.1.7 DB running on Solaris 2.8 box located behind a firewall.

I am connecting to the DB box with the following SSH command line: 'ssh2 -L 9901::1521 oracle_at_'. I changed my tnsnames.ora file to point to port=9901 and host=localhost. According to everything I have read this should work. However, when I try to connect to the DB with SQLPLUS I get the error 'ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact'

I saw that Multi Threaded Server could cause problems and so I did a query of v$session it shows all of the connections are DEDICATED.

I set the listener trace level to ADMIN and tried to check the listener.log and trace files on the server but the aborted connection isn't being registered there.

I have successfully connected to the DB through the same type of SSH connection from another machine that is behind the firewall. So I know the general process works. However, connecting from outside the firewall is giving me problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John Lawless
Senior Software Engineer
Avue Technologies
techno_at_avuetech.com Received on Thu Nov 15 2001 - 22:33:36 CET

Original text of this message