Re: SQL query Tuning

From: R197509 <ramsunders_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2001 00:35:51 -0800

erik_at_evd.be (Erik) wrote in message news:<aeb3790f.0111060442.3702b008_at_posting.google.com>...
> rewrite your statement with
> select X
> where
> WHERE IPAR1.product_range_id > IPAR2.product_range_id
> union
> WHERE IPAR1.product_range_id < IPAR2.product_range_id
>
> but you have to know how many rows you need about this table when you
> want to exclude this product_range .....
>
> why do you use rule hints ?
>
> why not all_rows ?
>
> did you already tried select /*+ parallell(ipar1 , 15) */ when you
> have multiple cpu's ont this machine ...
>
> Kind regards

Thank you for your help... I will try out your suggestion of replacing the <> with the UNION operation.
I don't know why the rule hint was used.. as is the case quite often, this is something that was developed sometime back and I am trying to tune it.. :) I do have replcing it with the ALL_ROWS hint on my To DO list...
I'm not very familiar with the parallel hint.. I mean is there a particular type of query that would qualify for using this hint.... or is any query parallelizable.... also, what would be an ideal value for the degree of parallelism? should I set the degree of parallelism equal to the number of CPUs? Received on Wed Nov 07 2001 - 09:35:51 CET

Original text of this message