partitioning

From: andrija <ar35644_at_fer.hr>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:39:12 +0200

I will have a large table which will have about 150,000,000 rows. I plan to partition it with range partitioning (each month - one partition).

Will the querries run faster (mostly reports for a month)? I know that documentation says it will, but what's your experience?

After while I'll have to backup some data (lack of space on disks). My idea is this: create archive tablespace, and move some partitions there, after that take tablespace offline and backup it on tape. Can I work with the rest of the data while this tablespace is offline? Can I place each month in different datafile in tablespace, so I can take specific month online and querry it? Received on Wed Oct 24 2001 - 16:39:12 CEST

Original text of this message