Re: can somebody help what exactly the rollback segment and redo log files contain..

From: Ford <get4ked_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Oct 2001 19:50:47 -0700

The redo log contains both the new values as well as the undo information. Undo is just another block type in the database that gets logged. If you did'nt commit you txn and the instance crashed but the blocks had made it to disk - after doing rollforward recovery you'd now have the new value in the block which was'nt commited so you'd need the undo to roll it back.