Re: writing a blob

From: Erin Walter <emwalter_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 18 Oct 2001 12:11:13 -0700

postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl (Sybrand Bakker) wrote in message news:<a20d28ee.0110180306.3950f44f_at_posting.google.com>...
> emwalter_at_engin.umich.edu (Erin Walter) wrote in message news:<f73db37a.0110170909.2e1a0ce6_at_posting.google.com>...
> > I am having a bunch of problems writing a blob and getting the correct
> > results back. I am attempting to write a long string of zeros and
> > ones representing a binary string. I am reading like this, from Java
> [snip]
>

> > any ideas??? any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't
> > know anything about blobs...it is my first time ever working with
> > them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Erin Walter
>
> Check out the documentation for and use the dbms_lob package for LOBs.
> utl_raw is supposed to work on LONG RAWs, which is definitely a
> different datatype.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

How would use the dbms_lob.write() function when inserting? All the exmaples seem to go like this:

1. insert empty blob
2. get blob locator
3. insert using dbms_lob.write using the locator.

But, I want to just insert the blob at the first insert because I want to fire a trigger after the insert and have the blob in there already.  Is this possible? If so how? Received on Thu Oct 18 2001 - 21:11:13 CEST

Original text of this message