Re: Experience of Informix -> Oracle conversions

From: (wrong string) öder <CrisOfSox_at_alb.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:20:03 +0200

Neil Truby schrieb in Nachricht ...
>One of our clients, uncertain of the Informix product set future in the
>light of its sale to IBM, has asked us to evaluate the costs and benefits
 of
>migrating to another dmbs.

Especially Oracle needs a real DBA.
Transfering the Data seems not the main Problem.

>Because of the applications they run, the only viable candidates are DB2and
>Oracle.

So you cant sty on I. ?
Since we have a customer with DB2 all work is done by theyr DBA teams, so i cant tell anything

>Does anyone have any experience of an Informix -> Oracle conversion? And
>the pitfalls. For example, I've looked at the Oracle Migration Workbench;
>it seems to me that, because of the ASCII nature of the conversion, this
>would be of value only for small databases.
An ASCII surface cant be the measure...
;)

>If you do have such experience or knowledge, and would be interested in
>spending some time helping me, could you email me privately.
We ( the Place i work) have to migrate data in both directions. Works quite well for us.
BUT:
We wrote the Scripts for ourself, we hadn't a base set for transfering all the Data.

Same SQL procedures have to be checked for runtime problems. One select on I. is faster than on O. and vice versa. To get the DB up und running, seems easy to me.

Again after the start you would like to tune your Oracle DB. Work of a DBA on O. is more important than in I.

I've got the Impression that a once created I.DB would only someone that checks
the logfiles of the archiving scripts, as where on Oracle i would *prefer* a more
experienced person on O..

For me there's no question which DB is better, customer criteria counts always...

HTH
Cris Received on Wed Oct 10 2001 - 14:20:03 CEST

Original text of this message